Welcome

Have fun inside my head!

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Michigan October 2019

I've lived in Texas for over 7 years now, but my home state will always be Michigan. I have driven home every fall but one since my youngest was born. The year we missed was last year due to an extra trip home for my brother's wedding that made going back in October impractical. I usually go with just my daughters as my husband is a professor and can't easily get away in October.

This year, I took a friend! It was a last minute addition to our trip. I have been talking with my two closest friends in Texas about doing a girls' trip to either Chicago or Michigan and when I mentioned that I wish they could come with me this time, one said, "Well, Jenny can go- her job is remote now." 36 hours later, she was in the car with us. My husband and MIL were happy that I had another driver along and I was happy to have a set of hands to help with kids at rest stops.

We didn't get to see the amazing colors that come out in mid-late October, but we did get my favorite apples! That is the purpose of going in October, really. Fall is my favorite season, and we don't really get it much down here. Michigan grows 500 varieties of apples but Texas only has 6 in the stores and they are usually from Washington. Michigan also has all of my immediate family as well as my parents-in-law. So, there is a big draw.

Best part about homeschooling or using a University-Model school as we do is that you can take it on the road!


We did school every day but Thursday, which was too full to fit it in. All work got done, though.

There were many concerts!


Milli played piano, too, but I didn't get a picture of it. We also had a friend over who is an amazing pianist and flutist. 

Molly chose to do four concerts in lieu of practicing on those days. Her violin repertoire has increased from 2 songs in July to 8 in September. She has hit that slope her teacher has been telling me about for a year now. She plays piano by ear, but we may start her on lessons next year. 

It rained off an on for seven of the nine days we were there, but the weather gave us windows for fall walks, a trip to a neighborhood park with a puppy, and a really nice apple-picking day.

We had time with family and friends and the girls got some awesome birthday gifts! They have September and November birthdays. Nana and Pop got them Harry Potter Lego sets and Grandma and Grandpa got them bikes (which will come to us in Texas soon). 

Harry Potter, unicorns, and the Warriors series are the big things for my kids this year. 

Lots of help with homework.


Many of these photos were taken by friends, so I have very few of family time. But here we are with my brother and sister-in-law watching Into the Spiderverse!


We had some pampering, too. Lots of good food and Milli had a salon day with Nana.

I had a bit of fun visiting friends, as well!


Yeah. This was our last day and I think I was missing my husband a little TOO much!

You were great, Michigan! See you in a couple of months!






No comments:

Post a Comment