Welcome

Have fun inside my head!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Impressions of Spokane, WA

I moved to Spokane almost two years ago. Before I moved, I had no idea what to expect. People back home (Michigan) kept saying things like, "Oh, you're moving to Washington? Hope you like rain" or "The Pacific Northwest is really beautiful, you'll love it!" Well, we moved to Eastern Washington, which is not very wet at all; but they were right to say we would love it. There are many reasons we love it here, but this post is about my first impressions, so I'll have to tell you some of the reasons later.

My very first impression of Spokane was that it didn't look so different from Michigan. We drove West on I-90 from Idaho and went up Division to eat breakfast at The Old European. I-90 looked like every other highway and Division looked like 28th Street in Grand Rapids. Granted, it was all surrounded by mountains, which is VERY different. It was a mild August day and the sun was out, so it seemed very nice.

The Old European was the first public place we went. We arrived around 7, which is when the restaurant opens. That seemed strange to me for a breakfast place. In Michigan, they open at 5- 6 at the latest. I assumed people out West were a little more laid back. Our waitress was super nice. She offered us free samples, by which she meant an entire serving, of the mango crepes and dutch baby. I had already ordered the Scandinavian cake plate, so we went home with half the food. I have had really great service at a few places before, but this stuck out. Little did I know that this was normal behavior in Washington! Everywhere we went had great- and I mean GREAT!- customer service. I even got great service from fellow customers who showed me where things were and answered questions I had. People were ridiculously nice! This actually made it difficult when church hunting because I often can rule out a church for not being welcoming enough- not this time!

Another thing we noticed right off about Spokane is the drive up coffee shacks. We have one- ONE- in Grand Rapids and I always wondered how they could stay in business. I never saw cars there. But here... there are hundreds! There are even chains! And they all have crazy names, like:

Java Hut is a chain. There is also Java, the Hut.

I will!

One of my favorite names. This one is on my way to work.

Took me a while to catch this one.

Not to brag...

I love this name and logo! Every time I see one (also a chain) I think, "We're on a mission from God!"

I never knew the Dutch to be famous for coffee. Although, they were coffee traders... and slave traders... same ships.

Tee Hee.
Random.

Common name.

This chain has women in bikinis as their advertisement. They are the Hooters of coffee.

Cute.

Some have names. Jacob's has at least 2 locations. Debbie's has a couple, too.
I didn't actually take this photo.



 Wake up Call is one of my favorite locations. I say that, having not had coffee from any. Since I get my coffee for free, I have not sampled any of the huts. But this has one of the most distinct buildings. Although, Ed said something funny. He wonders how many people understand the red phone booth and the way it relates to a wake up call. No one under 20 has ever seen a phone booth unless they watch Dr. Who.

I have wanted to write this post for two years. Most of these pictures were taken the first week we lived here. Better late than never, I suppose. I have some very good second and third impressions of Spokane, but there is not room in this post.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS! It has been 10 years since we were in Washington and I had forgotten how wonderful the coffee huts can be. Thanks for the reminder. There were good things about western Washington but I'll give up the huts to avoid the traffic.

    ReplyDelete