Welcome

Have fun inside my head!

Monday, June 4, 2012

One Month To Go

We are moving to Texas this month. Well, we're leaving Washington this month. We won't get to Texas until next month. Details later.

This is the Terminator as Texas
We have a few apprehensions about our future home. Let me put it in perspective. When we told people we were moving to Washington, they said one of two things: "Hope you like rain" or "You will love it out there!" The first was a misconception. We didn't move to Seattle, we moved to Eastern Washington which has more of a dessert climate- dry by day and cold by night. I'd say, "Dry and hot by day," but it's only hot here in summer.  But we do love it here. So, people were half right. When we tell people that we are moving to Texas, they almost all ask, "Why?" Hm... We have also gotten comments like, "Hope you like sweet tea" (Southern stereotype), "Hope you like big bugs," "I can't wait to see you with big hair and an accent," "You want to homeschool, so you'll fit right in," "People are really friendly there," and "Well, it'll be different."
Texas

I'm trying to stay positive. I mean, I've never been to Texas or even close to Texas. I have been to 27 states, but none of those touching Texas. It will totally new, and I am up for adventure! It's just too bad that Texas has so many stereotypes and stigmas. I mean, so it tried to be it's own country- so did the entire south. Granted, I have never lived in a state where most people know what the state flag looks like, let alone have them flying in their yards. Maybe I should put up the flags of the other states I have lived in, since I only know what Michigan's looks like.

Michigan
Minnesota 
        

Florida
Illinois
     

Washington
 Washington's flag is a little too literal to me. But, until I Google Image searched these, I had never seen them. I have, however, seen the Texas state flag... and I am not even a Texan yet!

I have made some bold statements about my future. I have said that I will never have big hair (frizzy from the humidity does not count), I will never wear make-up like Tammy Faye, and I will never own a pick-up truck. I am hoping that I don't pick up the accent, but some things cannot be helped.

These are some of the things people outside of Texas think and say about Texas:
          - People are racist there.
          - They like things big.
          - Everyone owns big trucks because they pay less for gas there (because of all the oil).
          - They think they are their own country.
          - They are super conservative there.
          - The state is full of cowboys.
          - Every truck has a gun rack.
          - People are dumb hicks there.
          - The bugs and snakes are huge!
          - Everyone is Southern Baptist and homeschools their kids.
          - It's hot!
          - It's not very cultured/diverse.
          - Everyone says "Ma'am" and "Sir."
          - Everyone wears ten gallon hats and cowboy boots.
          - They all square dance there.
          - They have a love affair with fringe.
          - All cute kids are in the pageants.
          - They all own hound dogs.
          - Every place has AC.
          - People there know who killed JR.
          - Everybody is rich off the oil there.
          - Everyone there is as stupid as Bush, Jr.
          - No one there knows what snow is.
          - You can order a Pepsi "Coke" there because all soda is "Coke."
          
I'm looking forward to having a lot of these proven wrong and a few proven right. I know that there are over 300,000 registered homeschoolers there- about 12.5% of the homeschool population of the US is there. So, 1 in 8 homeschoolers lives in Texas. That's good news to me because I hope to homeschool my little one. I also love the idea of people saying, "Sir" and "Ma'am." I just read a blog post of a Texas that also said neighbors drop in unannounced all the time. I love that idea! I wouldn't mind learning to square dance. And the outfits from Texas, while a little over the top sometimes, are kinda cute and very American (what most of the world thinks of as American). I will miss snow, although we plan to be in MI every Christmas, so I might see some then. Most of the rest I can do without. I'll blog a bit after living there a while to tell you what I discover.

Oh, to any Texans who may read this- please tell me some things about what Texas is really like. I don't mind being pleasantly surprised, but I would love to hear what you think of your own state, too. 

My next post will be about my first impressions of Spokane.

1 comment:

  1. Heat => motivation to wear less clothing.
    Uninvited neighbors => complication of wearing less clothing!

    And we all know that when Reba says she likes the idea of "people" saying "sir and ma'am" what she really means is she likes the idea of her husband saying "Yes ma'am".

    ReplyDelete