Welcome

Have fun inside my head!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Burried Treasure

I missed both my last two deadlines. I usually blog on Fridays; but July 20, Molly and then Milli woke up vomiting. Ed and I spent the entire day nursing sick babies. They both felt better by bedtime (although, Molly had a relapse just as I put her down) and were fine on Saturday. Molly broke out in a rash on Sunday, so we had church at home. Then this past Friday, I had a garage sale. I say "I had" because, while Ed helped me set up and take down and fetched things for me, I ran it. He doesn't feel comfortable with strangers and really hates selling things. 

In between these events, Ed and I cleaned out our shed. We found buried treasure! Well, sort of. Here is a list of some of the things we found: a barely used box of 4x4 white tiles, a box of ceiling tile, part of a box of linoleum, a vacuum cleaner (almost new), a 4 cup coffee maker (almost new- with box), lots of decent tools and parts, curtain rods, ceiling fan sconces and blades, light fixtures, wall trim, some decent pieces of wood, a partial box of ceramic fire place wood (the rest is in our fireplaces), a dog gate for an SUV or Jeep, a full tackle box, window blinds in great condition, a dead rat (yuck!), an antique spittoon, and an old chair.  

I did some research on the chair. Turns out, it is a Larkin Chautauqua Morris chair. It was made between 1898-1905! Considering it was in our shed under a bunch of junk, it wasn't in bad shape. The wood is sound, the small bit of fabric has no bite marks in it, and the springs still work. The hardware is a bit rusted and it needs new finish- but it was still a pretty good find! Completely restored, these chairs run about $1200. Not sure how much I can get for this one, but I have it listed on Craig's List to see if I get any interest. 

Most of these treasures went into the garage sale. I sold the tackle box and a few small things, but most of it ended up being donated to The ReStore. We kept the tile, some of the better tools, the spittoon, the firewood, and the chair. Here are some pics of the chair and spittoon: 

This is the chair before cleaning.

From underneath.

Tweety Mats! Sold to the first customer.

Birdcage, sold to the last customer.

Fishing chairs- sold.

Spittoon. I think the old owners used it as an ash bucket for the fireplace.

Pretty clean!
The garage sale yielded a total profit of $162.30. $150 of that was made the first day and only $12 the second. Turned out a key sign had been stolen and no one could find us. That irked me, but I still made my goal. I needed $99 to become a Jamberry Nails consultant. My next blog entry should be all about the Jamberry business I am going to start. I am waiting until August first because then I have two months to earn the first bonus instead of one and a few days. I'm so excited! And I still have treasures to sell!

No comments:

Post a Comment